Wood projects can seem a little intimidating at first glance, but they can also be very rewarding. While some more advanced wood projects involve saws and other tools, these paint-dipped balsa wood candle holders are a simple way for any new comer to get their feet wet. If wood is a new medium for you, this is a great project to start with. The lightweight balsa wood is an especially great way to bridge into the world of carpentry and other similar avenues. So, check out this guide and learn how to make these paint-dipped balsa wood candle holders in a matter of mere minutes!
Tools and Supplies for Balsa Wood Candle Holders:
- Balsa wood (3/32-inch-thick wood)
- Tea lights
- Glass votives
- Craft paint
- Painter’s tape
- X-acto knife/Utility knife
Directions for Balsa Wood Candle Holders
- Using a pencil, ruler, and X-acto knife, cut out your first panel from the balsa wood. The dimensions after your first cut should be a 3.75 x 3.5-inch rectangle. With the cut wood standing vertically, cut a 1.5 x 2.5-inch rectangle into the top half (2.5 inch side horizontal), leaving 0.5 inches of wood on each side of the rectangle. This is where the tea light will sit, so make sure to leave the top open.
- Then, cut a slot the width of the balsa wood (3/32 inches) from the bottom middle up to the halfway mark of the base. This slot allows two identical balsa wood pieces to fit together, one sliding onto the other.
- Cut another balsa wood piece identical to your first one, but this time, the 3/32 in. slot should start from the middle of the top part of the base and ends at the halfway mark of the base. The first balsa wood piece should be able to slide onto this one and fit perfectly.
- Paint the top half of each panel with a color of your choice and allow the paint to dry.
- Use masking tape to tape off the bottom half of the panels and paint the bottom half with another paint color of your choice.
- Once the paint is dry, peel the tape off the panels and fit the two pieces together. Now, you’re ready to place your candle in your balsa wood holder!
For a different kind of piece, try to vary the height of each candle holder. These are a great accent to any room and a fun way to add some color.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: loonara / 123RF Stock Photo