Organizing a kitchen, no matter how simple it may seem, is never really simple at all. It would be easy to throw spatulas, whisks, can openers, and everything else under the sun all in the same drawer, but then, of course, you can never find anything after that. Luckily, there are a few easy ways to help organize your kitchen without pulling your hair out — and it involves repuposing a shutter door.
Believe it or not, an old shutter door can help even the most disorganized person find their footing. There are a few ways to repurpose a shutter door, one that is obviously no longer attached to a wall and working as a door — all you need are some storage accessories and a little bit of time over the weekend. So, here’s how to turn an old shutter door into a DIY storage unit in just a few steps.
Materials and Supplies
- Choose a spot in your kitchen and measure the space to make sure you have enough room for the new storage unit. Ideally, everything will hang on the outside of the door, and the door will be nailed to the wall or leaning against it.
- If the door’s paint is in poor condition, sand it down and then add a new coat of paint. For accents, use painter’s tape to achieve cleaner lines.
- To touch up any crooked lines, try using a painter’s pen or a brush to fix it.
- While the paint drys, empty out cluttered drawers and cabinets and leave out your most used items — spatulas, prongs, colanders, etc.
Directions for Organizing Your Kitchen with a Door
- Once the door’s paint has dried, line the top of the door with damage free hooks for utensils. For heavier utensils, you can attach them to the hooks using string for reinforcement.
- On the door’s middle, use a magnetic strip to hold knives and measuring cups.
- Towards the bottom, line the door with hooks for potholders and extra towels.
- If you have room to spare, you can go back and add wire racks and cubbies for any spices you want easy access to. This is also great for any takeout menus you like to keep on hand.
- For extra reinforcement, you can add a door stopper to minimize movement or even drill nails in for extra stability.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: olegdudko / 123RF Stock Photo