Looking for a unique project with the holidays coming up? Dried pineapple flowers are an eye-catching garnish that can be used to spice up your cakes and cupcakes. It may sound difficult, but the steps are fairly easy and the rewards by far outweigh the minimal effort. Follow these steps, and in no time at all, you will be a pro at this fun fall arts and crafts project!
For this project, you require one pineapple, a cutting board, a large knife, a paring knife or measuring spoon, a baking sheet, parchment paper, and a muffin tin. Now, let’s get started.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oven is ready, slice off the top and bottom of the pineapple with the large knife. This can be difficult sometimes, but really put some elbow grease into it.
- Next, cut off the rind, leaving the pineapple bare. Using the small paring knife or measuring spoon, carve out any of the remaining eyes or seeds that are left behind.
- Carefully, slice the pineapple as thin as you can get it. You’ll want the slices to be almost translucent. Be careful when slicing because pineapples can be slippery without the rind and you need to slice nice and thin, so it can be tricky.
- Now, lay the slices on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or simply on top of parchment paper.
- Put them in the oven and allow them to dry out slowly. The time does vary, but it takes an average of 30 minutes on one side; flip and do another 30 minutes on that side. Be sure to keep a close eye on the slices.
- You can raise the oven’s temperature if short on time—it shortens the process and deepens the color, but this does pose the risk of burning the slices.
- Once the slices are nice and shrunken, almost to the point of being dried out, take them out of the oven and transfer them to the muffin tin so the edges curve upwards like a flower. You’ll want to do this while the slices are hot because they won’t bend like you want when cool.
- It’s recommended to leave them like this overnight so they conform to the curve of the muffin tin and retain their flower shape.
- That’s it! This is a great decorative piece for any dessert and will be sure to impress anyone who sees it.
- Another thing you can add, for some additional flair, is some frosting detailing in the inside and around the edges, some nice bee cake toppers to go with the pineapple flowers, or some edible sparkle paint to brighten it up!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: utah778 / 123RF Stock Photo