If you are among the many who have untold amounts of buttons laying around thanks to a love of sewing or what-have-you, there are plenty of ways to use up those colorful, plentiful buttons. One way is to create your very own button lampshade! Not only is this project as easy as pie for any skill level of craftsman, but it can also be designed however you want to fit your personality—or someone else’s if you are looking for gift ideas. Whether you use black and white colored buttons to produce a chic, modern twist, antique buttons for a vintage look, or multicolored ones for a cheery, bright appearance, the possibilities are endless.
Also, it should be noted that rather than involve sewing the buttons onto the lampshade, you have the option to use a hot glue gun instead. With this inclusion, this is likely a project that is better suited for adults or teenagers. However, if younger children want to be involved in the process, just make sure they are properly supervised and that you handle the hot glue. No one wants to scare their kids away from arts and crafts projects because they got burned one time! Now, without further ado, let us get started on those DIY button lampshades!
Materials and Supplies
- Many buttons with varieties of shapes and colors
- One or more lamps with fabric shades
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
Directions for Button Lampshades
- First, apply the hot glue directly onto the buttons to stick to the lampshade or onto the lampshade directly and press the buttons wherever you please.
- Place the buttons into place on the lampshade in a pattern, in various shapes or letters, or even just randomly for those who prefer a more sporadic look.
- As you continue to use hot glue, take out the glue strings from the hot glue gun every couple of buttons.
- Finally, repeat steps one through three until the lampshade is fully covered by buttons—as many or as few as you prefer.
- When you’ve finished decorating the lampshade, feel free to use it for a lamp in your child’s bedroom, beside the couch in the living room, or in any room where you think it will fit. Enjoy your button lampshade!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Photo via Pawel Michalowski / Shutterstock