I don’t know about your house, but in mine, we could probably throw or give away at least a dozen t-shirts every month. Rather than throw them out, though, we found a great crafts project that can put those word t-shirts to good use and keep the kids busy for hours on end.
Kids today are wearing decorative bracelets for just about anything, so there is little doubt that once your daughter starts to parade around her bracelet, the item will quickly become in high demand. You never know, this could actually turn into a form of income, as they could be sold on eBay very easily.
Before getting started, something very important to remember is the size of these bracelets will have to be big enough to get around the entire hand, as there will be no clasp. The bracelet will slide over the hand, point being the size of the bracelet will be bigger than the wrist and be very loose fitting.
To make the recycled t-shirt bracelets:
- Gather old t-shirt and cut them into strips 16” long and 1” wide
- For a single-colored bracelet, stretch out the strip, then tie the strip into a knot around the bracelet
- Wrap the t-shirt material around the bangle
- When you get to the end, untie the original knot and tie the two ends together
- Make sure the knot is tied very tightly and position it on the inside of the bangle, then secure the ends with the hot glue
- For braided bracelets, use six t-shirt strips, picking your favorite colors
- Pick matching strips in sets of two, just make sure the colors will work well together
- Attach two of the like t-shirt strips using the glue gun
- Repeat the above step for the other two sets of like strips
- Tie the three different sets of t-shirt strips in a loop knot, but make sure you leave a couple of inches extra material above the knot
- Braid the strips and when you get to the end, secure the ends with a rubber band or bag tie (this is just to hold it, this is not the final step)
- Once the braid is completed, wrap the braid around the bangle as described in the single-colored bracelet
- Tie the ends together with a tight knot and use the glue gun to sure it
That is all there is too it. If you need more help, there are plenty of videos on YouTube you can use as a reference both with and without bangles. We just prefer to use the bangle as it gives a better structure to the bracelet.
Photo via Tipsy Waltz Youtube Video