Step-by-Step Guide to Making Your Own Mosaic Luminary
Luminaries are a beautiful way to add color, light, and movement to any room, especially when they include an intricate stained glass inspired design. Luminaries can easily be found in any department or home décor store, but they are often more expensive than expected. While you may hesitate to buy a luminary for your favorite room, have you even considered making one of your own? Creating a DIY mosaic luminary is a very simple process and only uses a few different tools and materials that you can easily find in your local craft store – not to mention you can use whatever pattern you want!
Tools and Materials for a DIY Mosaic Luminary
- Glass votive candle holder
- Votive candle
- Square plastic container
- Glass stain paints
- Stain glass pattern of choice
Directions for a DIY Mosaic Luminary
- Working on a flat surface, sketch out the stained glass pattern you wish to use on the luminary on a piece of paper. You can also print a pattern of choice to use for the project.
- With the opening of the plastic box upright, insert the patterned paper into the box and tape it up against one side of the box. You will use this to trace the outline on the outside of the box.
- Lay the box on its side with the pattern facing upwards. You need to work on one side of the box at a time to allow for proper drying, since the paints will run.
- Using one of the glass stain paints, outline the stained glass pattern onto the plastic box.
- Once the pattern has been outlined, allow the stain glass paint to dry for a full 6 to 8 hours.
- Once the outline has dried, fill in the different areas of the pattern using colors of your choice.
- Allow this layer of stain glass paint to dry for a full 6 to 8 hours as well.
- Continue following steps two through seven until all sides of the plastic box have been painted and have dried completely.
- Once all of the sides have dried and set completely, insert the glass votive candle holder into the plastic box and add the votive candle.
- Light the candle, sit back, and enjoy!
To get an idea what this Mosaic Luminary is supposed to look like, check out the video below:
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: yelo34 / 123RF Stock Photo