A Quick Guide For Fruit Baskets
Even for beginner crafters, making your own basket for holding fruit or other items is remarkably easy. This Wood Dowel Fruit Basket project is cheap, easy, and takes hardly any time at all. All you need is a few simple items to make your basket in a matter of hours and have it storing your favorite fruits in no time. Without further ado, let’s go through the steps and begin!
Supplies for Wood Dowel Fruit Basket
- Trapezoid-shaped container (ex. small trash can)
- Hot glue gun
- 12 wooden dowels (may need to special order if not in stock at local stores).
Be sure to shop around for the right sized wood dowels. The recommended size is 1/4” diameter by 36” long poplar square dowels, but whatever you ultimately choose for your project will likely work.
Directions for Wood Dowel Fruit Basket
- Use the trapezoid-shaped container turned upside as your mold. Figure out how tall you would like the basket to be, and then use the handsaw to cut four of the dowels to the desired length (sand rough edges if you can). Tape them vertically to the four corners of the chosen container.
- Cut four more dowels a few inches longer than the base of the basket and then hot glue them to the four corner dowels that form the basket’s base, so that the dowel ends rest on top of each other. Be sure to not glue the wood to the container. Add some cross pieces to the sides, providing a basic structure.
- Cut the remaining dowels into a variety of lengths to create the sides and the base of your basket—you will want irregular pieces. Play with the spacing and angles as you build the sides of the basket, as you are free to give it some personality. Once you find an arrangement you like, glue the dowels in place.
- Once the glue is dry, you can remove your basket off the container and see it with its full effect. Make sure you have enough dowels to support whatever you will be holding in your basket. You don’t want fruit to fall out!
- If desired, you can paint or even spray paint your basket to match the décor of your house—if your kitchen is red, you can paint it red, and so on and so forth. You can even glue on additional decorations to make this basket your own, and the possibilities are endless.
These baskets are easy to make and can be used for many things. You can make some for your kids for Easter or even make one to hold your mail on your table in a nice, neat pile. This is a simple project that can be applied to many other things besides your favorite fruit basket.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: ilovehz / 123RF Stock Photo