Burgers and French fries are a favorite family meal for lunch or dinner. There are burgers available from fast food restaurants, but these taste so much better when they’re made at home, especially when cooked on the grill! Sometimes a plain burger just will not hit the spot, so the chef needs to get a little creative! So get your grill fired up, because here is a recipe for a hickory smoked burger with glazed apples and smoked cheddar cheese that everyone will love.
You will need:
- ½ cup apple butter (Smucker’s makes a nice spiced version)
- 2 tablespoons hickory smoke flavoring
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 large Granny Smith apple- wash, core, and slice it crosswise 3/8 inch thick
- 1 large sweet onion- peel and slice it crosswise ¼ inch thick- keep rings intact
- 4 onion rolls- slice these in half width-wise
- Smoked cheddar cheese slices
Step 1: Combine ½ cup apple butter, hickory smoke flavoring, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and the pepper in a medium sized bowl.
Step 2: Crumble the ground meat into the bowl. Combine all ingredients well.
Step 3: Shape the meat into a total of four patties that are five-inches wide each. Place them in the refrigerator.
Step 4: Start the grill and heat it to the medium-high setting.
Step 5: Use the 1 cup apple butter to coat the apples and the onions.
Step 6: Place the apples and onions on foil. Grill the burgers, apples and onions four to six minutes on each side. The juice should run clear from the burgers. The combination of apples and onions should be tender. At the same time, toast the rolls, if preferred.
Step 7: During the last two minutes of grilling, top each burger with a slice of cheese.
Step 8: Place one burger on the bottom portion of the roll and top it with the grilled onions and apples. Place the top portion of the bun on it and serve.