While it may come as a surprise, ladders have a lot of versatility when it comes to decoration and make for a perfect upcycling project. You can turn a ladder into almost anything, such as a shelf, a shoe rack, a towel rack, or, as with this project, a bookshelf. All you really need is the patience and a little creative spark to get you started!
Ladder shelves are growing more and more popular by the minute. It’s a great piece to have in a home or apartment, and you can design it in a way that suits your tastes. So, save a few pennies and learn how to turn an old ladder into a top notch bookshelf. You’ll end up honing a new craft and keeping a few more bucks in your pocket!
Materials & Supplies
- Old wooden ladder
- Extra pieces of wood
- Shelf brackets and screws
- Sandpaper or an electric sander
- Wood finish or paint
- Drill, bits, and screws or hammer and nails
- Steel measuring tape
- First, smoothen the ladder’s surface using sandpaper or an electric sander. This brings out the wood’s natural look and color.
- Next, measure the steps of the ladder. This helps for deciding how big the panels/shelves should be.
- Cut the wood using a saw and sand the ends.
- Place the shelf brackets on the other side of the ladder where you will attach the extra pieces.
- Attach each shelf bracket using a drill and screw.
- Map out the panels starting with the biggest piece at the bottom.
- Settle the cut pieces of wood of different sizes within the ladder.
- Attach the pieces using a drill and screw.
- Then, paint or stain the ladder bookshelf with your color of preference.
- Locate the perfect area for the bookshelf.
- Take a few steps back to make sure everything is level.
For a Horizontal Mount
- Using a level, make a few marks so you know where the bookshelf will go.
- Take a moment to look at it from afar to make sure everything is still even.
- Nail the ladder onto the wall using a hammer and nails or a drill and drywall screws.
For a Vertical Mount
- Nail the ladder onto the wall the long way.
- Make sure the ladder bookshelf is secure before adding items and books.
Horizontally, books can rest between each rung; vertically, you can use just one half of the ladder to save space. For color, instead of painting the entire ladder, you can just paint the shelves as a nice accent or just polish the natural wood. With that finished, enjoy your ladder bookshelf!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: dolgachov / 123RF Stock Photo