Laundry is just one of those chores that never stays done and that can’t be ignored. If you don’t like to cook you can eat out, but if the laundry isn’t done you will eventually run out of anything to wear.
If you have a large family each person can have their own laundry basket to put all their dirty clothes in. When the basket is full it’s all washed in one load, dried, then carried back to that child’s room. This might work for you if your basic wardrobe is jeans and tee shirts, but others will cringe at the very idea.
The smart way to sort clothes is to have at least 2 baskets, one for lights, one for darks, and TRAIN family members where to deposit dirty clothes. It’s handy to have a separate zippered mesh bag for each persons socks and underwear. The whole bag may be washed & dried. This will cut down on all those lost socks, and do away with sorting.
If your children aren’t putting their clean clothes up, they should be. TRAIN them early on. Label the drawers to help them remember this is the sock drawer, etc. The Bible teaches us in Proverbs 22:6 To TRAIN up a child in the way he should go……..When we follow God’s word it even makes our chores easier!
Here are a few more handy tips:
- Empty pockets, remember Mom keeps all the change
- Turn pockets inside out to remove trash
- Turn sweaters inside out to prevent piling
- Turn jeans inside out, they’ll last longer
- Pre treat stains & spots, keep an old toothbrush handy for scrubbing spots
- Mend seams and tears to prevent further damage
- Zip up all zippers
- Remember to keep your lint filter on the dryer clean
- Do not let undiluted liquid fabric softener come into contact with fabric as it will cause greasy spots
- Remove dryer sheets from the box and place in shallow woven basket, much easier to grab and they make the air smell fresh
- Have a bag in laundry room for outgrown clothes for donation
Thirty years ago the wallpaper in my laundry room read “I hate laundry rooms”, at the time I thought that was kind of cute and oh so true. I now realize what a blessing they really are, at least I’m not outside carrying water and scrubbing until my hands turn raw!