You just made your morning cup of coffee and grabbed the paper, but now you realize you have no hands left for your phone. No biggie, just balance it on the rim of the coffee cup and you are good to go. It sounded like a great idea until you put your cup down and the phone tipped right into the coffee. What can you do to save your mobile phone from an early grave?
1. Get the phone out of the water as quickly as possible
2. DO NOT start punching buttons. Take off the cover, remove the battery, SIM card, and memory card. Use a paper towel to pat dry as much of the phone as possible. Do NOT use a blow dryer or any other device to try and get the water out of the phone.
3. Fill a bowl with uncooked rice and submerge phone and battery into the rice. The rice has properties that make it able to absorb large amounts of water. This will help draw the moisture out of the phone.
4. Let phone and battery sit in the rice for about 48 hours. Resist the temptation to take it out early as operating the phone while there is still moisture inside of it could result in short-circuiting the phone and ruining it for good.
5. After two days have passed, remove the phone and battery from the rice. Wipe them off and put the battery back into the phone. If you caught the phone in time, it should start up and work fine.
This solution does not always work, as sometimes the phones are simply too wet and the damage can happen fairly quickly, especially on today’s smart phones. Good luck!