Sometimes, the designated chef in the home is just too tired to make a main dish and one or more side dishes for dinner! A one-dish meal that covers all of these can be prepared quickly and without much effort is desired. This chicken casserole is convenient to prepare and can be made one day in advance. It serves 12 people and each ¾-cup serving has 335 calories, 10.8 grams of fat, and 23.9 grams of protein.
You will need:
- 1 1/3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 10.5-ounce cans condensed cream of chicken soup, 98% fat-free, undiluted
- 4 cups chicken breast, cooked, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup canned green chilies, chopped and drained (can use less to make it milder)
- 1 cup sour cream (fat-free)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 24 corn tortillas (6-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large saucepan
- 9 x 13-inch baking dish
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Combine chicken broth, chilies, chopped onion, sour cream, salt, ground cumin, black pepper, cream of chicken soup, and garlic clove in the large saucepan. While stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. Remove it from the heat.
Step 3: Coat the baking dish with the cooking spray. Spread 1 cup of the mixture into the baking dish. Place 6 tortillas on the mixture. Top this with 1 cup of chicken and ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Repeat the layers in this manner, placing cheese on top at the end. Spread the extra soup mixture on this cheese.
Step 5: Bake for 30 minutes or until the item begins to bubble.