A new coat of paint can make a huge difference in any room or part of your home, even the ceiling. Depending on the kind of ceiling or room you have, the color you choose can make an impact on a room’s decorum. If you have especially tall ceilings, a darker color can make the room feel warmer while less contrast can make a smaller room feel more open.
While painting the ceiling may seem like a daunting task (especially for your neck), this is a simple process that can be much more fun and knowledgeable if given the chance. So, learn how to paint your ceiling with ease right here!
Materials and Supplies
- Drop cloths
- Paint and primer
- Brushes and rollers
- Paint tray
- Painter’s tape
- Move furniture away from the walls and cover with drop cloths.
- Shut off circuit breakers and remove cover plates for outlets.
- Cover outlets, door knobs, and the edge of the ceiling with painter’s tape.
- If you have a ceiling fan, remove the light bulbs and blades. Then, move the cover plate down before wrapping it with plastic.
- Remove any flaking paint with a putty knife.
- Fill any holes with spackle and sand down to a smooth finish.
- After things dry, vacuum dust around mouldings or wipe down with a damp rag.
- Apply primer first if you don’t have a 2-in-1 paint and primer.
Directions for Painting Your Ceiling
- With painter’s tape applied to the top edges of the walls, load your brushes for a thin, even coat along the edge.
- Make long strokes with the brush while you work, always working back into the wet paint. This will prevent an uneven coat or different shades. Paint a few inches outward along the ceiling’s edge.
- Before using a roller, dampen it with a wet towel.
- Then, use a roller with an extension pole to paint the rest of the ceiling. For a smooth finish, use a low nap roller; for a textured surface, use a higher nap.
- Start at one end and overlap each row.
- To avoid splattering, roll slowly.
- When you’re done, go back over lines with an unloaded roller to smooth out lines.
- If you have a vaulted ceiling, you may want to use a pole mounted brush extender for corners. Start at the tallest point and work downward.
If you’re in need of painting supplies, please click here. Feel free to check out the rest of the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: aetb / 123RF Stock Photo