Revamping Your Old Ceiling
Popcorn ceilings are generally a thing of the past, but many older homes still have this type of treatment in some of the rooms. When it comes time to paint, covering this type of treatment may seem like a daunting and messy task. The good news is that painting over a popcorn ceiling is possible and with a few tools and some know-how, this weekend project can be a great success.
Materials and Tools:
Directions for Painting Over a Popcorn Ceiling:
1. Prepare the Workspace: To make sure paint does not go where it is not supposed to, it is important to cover all areas of the room in which you will be working. Make sure to use plastic drop cloths to cover rugs, carpet, and furniture to avoid stains from paint splatter.
2. Prep the Ceiling: Before painting any wall, especially the ceiling, it is important to make sure the surface is free of any dust or debris. Make sure to dust the ceiling using a feather duster or dry cloth to ensure a clean working space.
3. Pre-Paint Stains: If the ceiling has watermarks or stains, it is important to paint these areas first before painting the entire ceiling. Paint these areas and allow to dry before painting the remainder of the ceiling.
4. Paint the Ceiling: When painting over a popcorn ceiling, there is a specialized technique that should be utilized to guarantee the best results. Starting in one direction, roll the foam roller forward and stop – do not roll the foam roller back and forth over the area. When the popcorn treatment becomes wet from the paint, it will begin to peel – this is why it is important to only paint in one direction.
5. Touch-Up Areas: Once the first coat of paint has been applied, it may be necessary to touch up some areas or add another coat of paint. The best way to approach this is by waiting for the first coat to dry completely before adding the new layer of paint.
6. Clean-Up and Enjoy: Once the ceiling is completely dry, remove the plastic drop cloths from the area. Clean the painting supplies thoroughly and enjoy your new ceiling!
Are you ready to redo your ceiling? If you live in Arkansas, you may need a hardware store offing tool rental in Mountain View. If so, look no further than Hipp Modern Builder’s Supply! Stop in or visit us online. For more information, click here.