Put away the Indian restaurant menu because you can make your own favorite Indian dishes at home and save money. This tandoori chicken recipe includes an onion and pepper salad and a side of mashed chickpeas. Preparation and cook time are under thirty minutes, creating the perfect four to six-serving meal for a busy workday.
You will need:
• 4 cloves garlic, grated and divided
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
• 2 cans of chick peas, drained
• 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in half cross-wise
• 2 inches ginger root, grated
• 1 small red onion, diced into 1/2-inch pieces or sliced thinly
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 lime for garnish
• 1 yellow bell pepper, washed, seeded, and diced into ½-inch pieces or sliced thinly
• 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
• ½ cup of chicken stock
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra for drizzling
• ¼ cup of tahini paste
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
• Fresh ground black pepper
• Rings of hot banana peppers, drained and then chopped, and 2 tablespoons pepper juice
• Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
• 4 pitas
• Baking sheet
• Shallow dish
• Medium skillet
• Food processor
• Potato masher
• Aluminum foil
• Baking rack
Step 1: Preheat the oven to as high as possible. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the baking rack on it.
Step 2: In the shallow dish, combine the yogurt, ginger, chili powder, 3 cloves of grated garlic, coriander, turmeric, paprika, cumin, cardamom, and 2 tablespoons of oil. Season chicken with pepper and salt, then coat it with this sauce. Arrange the chicken pieces on the baking sheet. Roast them until the juice runs clear, about 20 or 25 minutes.
Step 3: On medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of oil in the medium skillet. Add 1 clove of the grated garlic.
Step 4: In the food processor, pulse chop chickpeas and add to the garlic and oil from Step 3. Season with pepper and salt. Mash with tahini and chicken stock. Adjust heat to low.
Step 5: Make the salad by combining bell peppers, red onion, as many chopped hot peppers as you like. Add 2 tablespoons of hot pepper juice, the lime juice, and cilantro leaves. Drizzle on some olive oil. Season with pepper and salt.
Step 6: Cut the extra lime into wedges and set aside.
Step 7: During the last few minutes the chicken is cooking, warm the pitas in the hot oven.
Step 8: Serve the chicken with the lime wedges for squeezing on top. Place the pepper salad on top of the chicken. On the side, place the chick peas. Halve the pitas and serve alongside.