Those sweet potatoes and carrots you are growing in your garden this season make the perfect soup ingredients. This thick, delicious soup also features beans and garden herbs and spices. It takes only 30 minutes to prepare and makes 8 cups. Serve it with fresh grilled chicken, fish, or steak and everyone will want a second helping!
You will need:
• 1 large sweet potato, peel and cut into ½-inch cubes
• 1 pound carrots, peel and slice thinly
• Three 14 ½-ounce cans of reduced-sodium vegetable broth
• One 19-ounce can of white kidney (cannellini) beans with no salt added, rinse and drain
• ½ cup sour cream or crème fraiche
• 2 tablespoons sliced green onions or snipped fresh chives, plus more for topping
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger, plus more for topping
• Kitchen towel
• Dutch oven
• Small bowl
Step 1: Combine sweet potato, carrots, ginger, and vegetable broth in the Dutch oven. Bring ingredients to boiling on the stove and reduce the heat. Simmer, with cover on, for 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables turn tender. Cool slightly.
Step 2: Prepare the chive cream by combining chives and crème fraiche or sour cream in the small bowl. Set this aside.
Step 3: Puree one-quarter of the beans and vegetables from Step 1 in the blender at a time. When pureeing, remove the blender lid cap, fold the kitchen towel, and hold it over the lid opening. Once all beans and vegetables are pureed, return the liquid to the pan and heat it through.
Step 4: Use salt and pepper to season the soup. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Add a dollop of chive cream to each bowl. Sprinkle additional ground ginger and snipped chives or green onions onto the cream.