If you are among the many who do not have the space or the time—or possibly even the skill—to grow a sizable garden, there are still plenty of options out there for testing out your green thumb and bringing a bit more of nature into your everyday life. One of those ways is by making succulent wine cork magnets! Succulents are notoriously hardy plants that require very little maintenance due to the fact they are designed to withstand arid, desert climates. So, even for those of us who tend to (unintentionally) kill plants rather than grow them, there is still hope in making gardeners out of us yet.
Many wine drinkers have a tendency to hold on to their wine corks, almost like trophies, and this crafts project is a great way to make sure these small tokens are put to good use rather than just taking up space on a shelf somewhere. If you feel convinced that this is the project for you, let’s get started on those succulent wine cork magnets!
Materials and Supplies
- Succulent pieces, small
- Wine corks
- Drill, with 5/16-inch bit
- Craft paint
- Painters tape
- Hot-glue gun
Directions for Succulent Wine Cork Magnets
- To begin, drill a cavity into each wine cork using a drill bit that is large enough to create a cavity but small enough to prevent the cork’s edges from crumbling—a 5/16-inch drill bit should do the trick. After securing one of your wine corks with your wrench, drill a cavity into the cork’s center (while drilling lengthwise). Make sure you drill only about 75 percent of the way into the cork. From there, shake any cork dust out from the hole you just made.
- This part is optional, but you can paint the wine corks and then allow the paint to completely dry before continuing.
- Using your hot-glue gun, glue either two or three magnets onto the side of your cork that can serve as the back. Give the glue enough time to dry before continuing.
- Finally, place the small succulent and the soil into the cork before adhering it to a metal surface. You may also use faux succulents if you would prefer them to last longer. Repeat the process until you have as many succulent wine cork magnets as you want. Enjoy!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: nevada31 / 123RF Stock Photo