If you have a beach house or just genuinely love décor that reminds you of the sea, this DIY arts and crafts project is one you must try! Starfish driftwood art, tying in a rustic, down to earth tone with the joys of the beach, can be made in just a few steps by anybody with a little bit of free time on their hands this weekend. You can set it on the mantel during the summer or even keep it up during winter for remembering warmer times!
So, for those interested in budget-friendly decoration that sparks thoughts of the beach and the nearest ocean, here is a tutorial for making starfish driftwood art!
Materials and Supplies
- Wooden panel with a recessed back, or a shadowbox
- Hot glue gun
- Gray craft paint
- White craft paint
Directions for Starfish Driftwood Art
- Before you begin: Pick driftwood pieces somewhat lengthier than the wooden panel or shadowbox. Also, the gray paint for the box’s back will darken the areas in between your driftwood pieces. As well, when adding in the white paint, use a dry paintbrush and little paint, which creates a sort of rustic appearance. And most importantly, be very careful with power tools while always following the manufacturer’s safety precautions and instructions.
- To begin, paint your shadowbox or wooden panel. The outer edges should be painted white whereas the back of the panel/box should be painted grey. Let the paint dry entirely before moving onto the next step.
- Using your saw, cut your pieces of driftwood to size. As always, follow every safety precaution and use safety gear while operating power tools. When cutting driftwood, think of it like a puzzle, meaning you can try various combinations of sizes until something works and fits the piece. No driftwood piece is ever identical to another, but, then again, that’s what is so great about this piece.
- With the hot glue gun, secure all the pieces into their places—first, glue the driftwood pieces to the back of the box before gluing the starfish to the top of the driftwood.
- Now, your starfish driftwood art piece is finished and ready to be part of your home’s decor! You can add this piece to any room you want a beach theme in. This piece can also work for a beach or lake house all year long.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Photo via marilyn barbone / Shutterstock