Decreasing your fat intake is a serious goal of many people. Fortunately, we do not need to sacrifice taste when doing so, thanks to delicious recipes like this one! These rolls can be served with asparagus or fresh green beans, and the recipe makes enough for four servings. Each serving has just 242 calories and four grams of fat, yet is packed with protein.
You will need:
• 4 halves of boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 ½ pounds)
• ½ cup fat-free cream cheese (4 ounces)
• ½ cup chicken broth, reduced-sodium style
• ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice for a lemony sauce)
• 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
• 1 tablespoon non-saturated fat style margarine
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, snipped or fresh tarragon (or ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon or rosemary)
• Coarsely ground black pepper
• Nonstick cooking spray
• Plastic wrap
• Wooden toothpicks
• Meat mallet
• Large skillet
• 8-inch square baking dish
• Small saucepan
Step 1: Place each chicken breast half, with the boned side facing up, in between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the meat mallet, pound the chicken lightly until it is only 1/8 inch thick. Remove the plastic wrap.
Step 2: Top each piece of chicken with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese and 1 tablespoon of chopped red pepper. Sprinkle with rosemary.
Step 3: Fold in sides of the chicken breast half, then roll it like a jelly roll, pressing on the edges to seal it. Use the toothpicks to secure the roll, if necessary.
Step 4: Coat the skillet with the cooking spray and put the chicken rolls in the skillet. Turn stove heat to medium high and cook the chicken rolls for 3 or 4 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Turn to brown each side.
Step 5: Put the chicken rolls in the baking dish. Sprinkle the rolls with the black pepper.
Step 6: Bake the chicken rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink, in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven.
Step 7: While the chicken is baking, combine the wine (or lemon juice), cornstarch, and chicken broth in the saucepan. Cook this on the stove until it is thick and bubbly. Continue cooking for two additional minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
Step 8: Stir the margarine into the mixture made in Step 7. Pour this mixture over the chicken rolls. Add the snipped chives as a garnish.