These leather organizers not only keep everything tidy, but they look classy as well and keep people from relying on cheap solutions like rubber bands, which will wear out faster than you realize. So, if you have a handyman in your house that would appreciate something a little out of the box as a gift, let’s get started making these!
Supplies and Materials
Directions for Leather Electrical Cord Organizers
- Before you begin, create a proper pattern for you to use as a template for when you cut out the leather pieces for your organizers. The bigger piece should measure four inches long and two inches wide, with one side (the one that will be visible) having rounded edges. The leather heart piece, which will rest around your organizer’s snap button, should measure one inch high and one inch wide.
- With your pair of fabric scissors, cut the leather pieces out into the recommended sizes and shapes provided.
- Using your awl and a pen or pencil, mark the positions of where the snap is to be attached. Poke a single hole through your marked spots with the awl, pushing it through all the way in order to make the hole larger. To enlarge the holes even more to allow the snap parts to fit through, use the tip of your fabric scissors to trim away a slight amount of fabric.
- Make sure you work on a flat, hard surface. Put the cap shaft through the hole in the heart-shaped leather piece (with the suede side up). Then, place your cap shaft through the bigger leather piece.
- Place the ringed part over the cap shaft and gently hammer it into place using the provided snap tools.
- Repeat this process with the bottom end of your snap parts with the remaining hole at the opposite end.
- Now, wrap the organizer around a particularly unruly electrical cord and snap it into place.
Enjoy your DIY leather electrical cord organizer!