All Natural Biscuits That are Perfect for Your Furry Friends
If there is one thing we love giving our pets, it is their favorite treats. But with all the buzz around the questionable ingredients some manufacturers may be putting in their pet foods, more and more pet parents are looking for natural alternatives that their dogs or cats will still love. One way to satisfy your desire to feed your pet a wholesome treat and your pet’s desire to eat something tasty is by making homemade pet treats right in your own kitchen. Not only will your pets love them, you will know they are getting something that is natural and healthy for them as well.
Bacon and Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
– 2 cups wheat flour
– ¾ cup of water
– ½ cup natural peanut butter
– ¼ cup ground flax
– ¼ cup wheat bran
– 1/8 cup bacon grease
– 2 pieces thick cut bacon (cooked and chopped)
– 1 egg (beaten)
– 2 tsp. baking powder
Directions for Bacon and Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits:
1. Gather all your ingredients and prepare for baking.
2. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
3. In a medium sized skillet, fry bacon until it is crispy. Once cooked, place the bacon on a paper towel to cool and drain bacon grease into a glass measuring cup.
4. Whisk flour, wheat bran, ground flax and baking powder in a large bowl. Crumble cooled bacon into the flour mixture and combine.
5. Place peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds until soft.
6. Lightly beat egg in a medium size bowl. Add peanut butter, bacon grease and water to the egg and combine.
7. Make a well in the flour mixture and slowly pour in the egg and peanut butter mixture. Stir together until the ingredients are well combined.
8. Once the ingredients are well incorporated to form dough, remove the dough from the bowl and knead lightly on a flat surface. You may want to sprinkle a clean countertop or cutting board with flour to help keep the dough from sticking.
9. Roll out one large sheet of parchment paper and roll dough out on the paper to a ½ inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out dog biscuits and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Once you have cut out all the biscuits, re-knead the remnant pieces of dough, roll out and cut again until there is no dough leftover.
10. Bake biscuits in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes turn off the oven but leave the biscuits inside to cool for up to 2 hours.
11. Biscuits can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or frozen for up to six months.