Crab cakes are a classic enjoyed by seafood lovers. Baking rather than frying them results in a much healthier meal. A two-crab cake serving of this recipe has just 300 calories and 14 grams of fat. It is a good source of protein, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and more. Prepare this guilt-free meal any day of the week and watch everyone gobble it up!
You will need:
• 1 pound crab claw meat, picked over
• 1 cup Panko or regular unseasoned breadcrumbs
• 2 scallions, green and white sections, thinly sliced
• 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 jalapeno pepper, diced finely
• 1 medium green bell pepper, diced finely
• 1/3 cup Greek plain nonfat yogurt
• ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped finely
• 18 whole cilantro leaves
• 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated finely
• 1 teaspoon hot chili-garlic sauce and additional to taste
• 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated finely
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Canola oil cooking spray
• Baking sheet
• Nonstick skillet
• Large mixing bowl
• Small bowl
• Mixing spoon
Step 1: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray the baking sheet with the cooking spray.
Step 2: Pour the canola oil into the skillet and heat it on the stove on medium-high heat. Add the jalapeno, green pepper, and scallion and cook approximately 3 minutes or until the peppers are slightly soft. Add the garlic and ginger and then cook for an additional minute. Set aside to slightly cool.
Step 3: Put the scallion and pepper mixture in the large mixing bowl and add the lime juice, lime zest, crab, egg, cilantro, salt, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, and ½ cup breadcrumbs. Stir with the mixing spoon to combine.
Step 4: Pour the other ½ cup of breadcrumbs onto the plate. Form 8 crab cakes from the crab mixture. Roll each crab cake in the breadcrumbs, working gently, and put it onto the baking sheet. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on the top of each crab cake.
Step 5: Bake the crab cakes approximately 10 minutes or until their bottoms are golden brown. Turn them over gently and cook the other side for 10 minutes. While they are cooking, stir together the yogurt, chili-garlic sauce, and remaining 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise in the small bowl.
Step 6: After removing the crab cakes from the oven, top each one with approximately ½ of the spicy, creamy sauce prepared in Step 5. Place a cilantro leaf on top.