Do-It-Yourself Copper Foil Coasters
Drink coasters are something every homeowner has and often uses on a daily basis. Cardboard coasters like the ones used in bars may be inexpensive, but they often do not last long. As well, a nice, coordinated set of drink coasters can be hard to find and are often expensive for what they are, not to mention it may be hard to find a set that matches your style and your home’s décor. The good news is that drink coasters are very simple to make on your own, and you can include any design you desire! Here is a tutorial on how to make Copper Foil Coasters for your home!
Tools and Materials for Copper Foil Coasters:
- Plastic drop cloth
- Wood coaster set (unfinished)
- Chalky finish paint (this tutorial uses white)
- Self-adhesive copper foil tape
- Clear casting epoxy
- Large piece of cardboard
- Craft sticks
- Felt pads
Directions for Copper Foil Coasters:
- Cover your working surface with a plastic drop cloth.
- Paint the wooden coasters (top, bottom, and all sides) with a few coats of chalky finish paint. Allow paint to dry completely before continuing.
- Add strips of copper foil tape to the painted coasters in your desired pattern – you can make a matching set or a set of coasters each with their own design.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions for preparing the clear casting epoxy. It is important to follow the directions closely, as it will affect the results of the application.
- Cover your working surface with a large piece of cardboard – this ensures that the coasters do not stick to the plastic drop cloth.
- Pour the clear casting epoxy over each coaster, making sure to spread the epoxy to all of the coasters’ edges by using craft sticks. Make sure the layer of epoxy is even over the entire surface of the coaster.
- Once the epoxy has been applied, pop any surface bubbles by running a lighter over the surface, being careful to not touch the flame to the epoxy.
- Allow the clear casting epoxy to cure for a full 24 hours without touching or moving the coasters.
- Once the epoxy has cured, apply felt pads to the underside of the coasters on each corner – these prevents scratching to table surfaces when the coasters are in use.
- Enjoy your new, handmade coasters with your favorite beverage!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: nipastock / 123RF Stock Photo