DIY Planter and Bird Bath
Planters and bird baths make a great addition to any outdoor landscape. These unique elements give homeowners an opportunity to fit these structures into any backyard space and have them match any design preferences, not a mention bird baths are a great way to get up close and personal with Mother Nature’s winged creatures. While these ornate ornaments can sometimes be expensive, creating them yourself is a fun, easy weekend project that is not as burdensome on your wallet.
Materials for DIY Planter and Bird Bath
– (1) 8” terracotta pot
– (4) 6” terracotta pots
– (1) 4” or 5” terracotta pot
– 62” piece of rebar
* Please note that terracotta pot sizes and quantities can vary based on the overall design goal.
– Primer Spray Paint
– Regular Spray Paint (colors of your choice)
– DAP Household Adhesive
– Bird Bath Style Bowl
Directions for DIY Planter and Bird Bath
1. Paint Terracotta Pots – To begin, prepare the terracotta pots for assembly by priming and painting them the color of your choice. Depending on the number of pots being used for the height of the planter, more than one can of primer and/or spray paint may be needed.
2. Measure and Install Rebar – Accounting for the height of all the terracotta pots (this example uses 38 inches of pots) and adding 2 feet for installation, cut the rebar to the appropriate size. Then, install the rebar by hammering it into the ground at least 2 feet to ensure proper support for the planter pots.
3. Install Terracotta Pots – Begin threading the pots onto the rebar, starting with the largest base pot. Tilt each pot in alternate directions as desired and fill with soil as you go. It is best to tilt the pots in opposite directions to help support each one from the bottom up. The final pot should be positioned upright to hold the bird bath.
4. Install the Bird Bath – Using the DAP household adhesive attach the bird bath style bowl to the top pot of the planter. Allow the adhesive to cure/dry for at least 24 hours.
5. Plant Flowers, Fill the Bird Bath and Enjoy! – Once the adhesive has cured plant flowers of your choice in the terracotta pots. Make sure to choose a flower variety that does well in a potted environment and look for full sun, partial sun or full shade depending on the location of the planter. Fill the bird bath with water and enjoy the wildlife!
If you live in Arkansas and plan on taking this DIY project on, you may need a Mountain View hardware store for all of your supplies. Look no further than Hipp Modern Builder’s Supply! For more information about our store and to visit us online, click here.