As many business owners and homeowners have discovered the hard way, especially those out in the country, buying a customized wooden sign can be costly to the point that they usually scrap the idea altogether. Luckily, for those willing to put in the work, you can easily make a wooden sign, with a crafted, more rustic appearance, by yourself in any way you like! It may sound a bit daunting for those who don’t often participate in wood working projects, but this project can be accomplished by anyone even if they have never touched a sander before.
The biggest components necessary for this rustic sign project are less about previous experience and more about elbow grease and attention to detail. Most people can provide those components in spades, and it won’t even take that long to complete this project. So, let’s get started on your new rustic wood sign!
Materials & Supplies
- A piece of fence board or old wood from a barn or similar building
- Vinyl lettering, maybe Silhouette Cameo
- Old rag
- Creme wax
- Paint brush
- Fine sandpaper and/or sander
- Dampened cloth
Directions for Making a Rustic Wood Sign
- To begin, sand the board until the surface is smooth, and then clean the board using a dampened rag or cloth for removing any lingering dust.
- Then, cut out your chosen phrase—business name, welcome sign, etc.—with your vinyl lettering in any font of your choosing. Rather than weeding out surplus vinyl, try weeding the letters out. From there, apply your vinyl stencil to your wooden board.
- Add a fairly good bit of decoupage to the wooden board, which should help seal the stencil and prevent the paint from seeping beneath the stencil later. Let it dry out completely before continuing.
- Once the decoupage has dried, paint over the vinyl stencil using a fine coat of brighter-colored paint, so the sign may be seen and read more easily.
- Before the coat of paint dries completely, carefully remove the vinyl stencil, which should evenly leave your phrase behind on the wooden board.
- Once the paint fully dries, sand over the painted letters slightly to distress them just a bit.
- To add some more protection for the letters and provide a more completed look, try applying a single coat of wax by using a rag. From there, you have completed your rustic wooden sign!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Photo via dfrolovXIII / Shutterstock