In case you ever need a last-minute Halloween costume for your child to replace the one either you or he wrecked, you can always make one yourself! This prisoner costume only takes a white shirt and pants and several colors of duct tape, and you can even accessorize with a ball and chain. Halloween may have passed already, but it never hurts to prepare in advance!
Supplies and Materials
- White shirt that is one size bigger than the child’s typical size
- White pants
- Silver, white, and black duct tape
- Craft knife and cutting mat
- Black marker
- Face paint
- Plastic handcuffs with chain
- Soccer ball
Directions for Children’s Prisoner Costumes
- To make a homemade prisoner costume for your child, measure and then cut a 6-inch piece of white-colored duct tape. Using your black marker, write “No. 47953” or any number of your choosing.
- Set the white shirt on your work surface flattened out. Take the number off your cutting mat and then stick it onto the frontside of the shirt around where a left breast pocket would be.
- Start setting black strips of duct tape onto the shirt, covering the top edges of the tape with the prisoner number on it. Keep adding duct tape stripes to the shirt’s frontside until completed.
- Flip the shirt over. On a white piece of duct tape, write “DEPT. OF CORRECTIONS” and then stick the tape onto the back of the shirt about where the shoulder blades would be. Repeat the same striping process as on the front, lining the back stripes up with the front stripes. Once the shirt is completed, repeat the process with the pants.
- To start on your “ball and chain,” cover an old soccer ball entirely with black duct tape, and then set to the side while making the chain.
- Measure a piece of silver duct tape (a “chain link”) that is roughly the cutting mat’s length. Lift the duct tape and then turn it upside down with the sticky side up. Fold the tape’s bottom third onto itself, and then fold down the top third, creating a strip without any sticky edges left. Cut the strip in half, and then repeat for as many links as you want.
- Take one of the chain strips and tape it to create a ring—the first chain link—before using several strips of black tape to adhere it to your soccer ball. Keep adding links and taping them together.
- To create the costume’s ankle cuff, measure a piece of black duct tape that is your cutting mat’s full length. Measure out another piece above that, overlapping the first strip by around a quarter-inch, thereby attaching them. Lift this connected tape off the cutting mat and turn it upside down. Fold into thirds as you did with the links, and this will wrap around the ankle and be taped together, attaching one chain link to the chain and ankle cuff.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: kmitu / 123RF Stock Photo