If you are looking to create a little privacy but are not the type of person that wants curtains on their windows, blinds are another option. This is a quick and easy DIY task that can be done before your favorite movie comes on tonight.
Tools and Materials Needed:
*Before you get started, decide if you are going to mount the blinds on the inside of the frame or on the outside of the frame. When you know where you want them mounted, measure for the size needed. In some cases, the store will cut the blinds down for you. If not, there should be directions in the box for how to properly cut the blinds before starting the install.
To Install the Blinds:
- Measure to the center of the window opening and lightly mark the center point on the blind headrail
- Slide mounting brackets to each end of headrail
- Mark the brackets, then set the blind aside
- Hold the brackets in place where they will be installed, then mark the holes for drilling
- Drill the holes on the marks and secure the brackets
- Mark the spot for the center bracket, drill holes, then secure bracket
- Install the blind headrail into the brackets and lock it into place
- Attach the blind opening wand into the hook
- Place the valence clips on the headrail and snap them into place
- Attach the valence (the valence returns may require some trimming)
- Insert your bottom rail end clips and secure
When this is done, you can lower the blinds all the way down to see if they need to be shortened. If they require this step, do the following:
- Lower the blind all the way down
- Remove the extra slats by cutting them out, but be careful not to cut the bottom rail or the lift cords on the blinds
- Cut down the horizontal ladder strings
- Take the plugs out of the bottom rail and slide the rail up the strings until it is 1” from lowest slat
- Twist cords and put into bottom rail
- Replace the bottom rail plugs
That is all there is too it. If you have everything ready to go when you get started, you can have this knocked out in less than an hour.
Need tools for the job? Visit our online store for great deals!