Improve Energy Efficiency in Your Home with Ceiling Fans
There is nothing worse than walking from the hot outdoors into the hot indoors – running the air conditioning during the late spring and summer months almost seems like a necessity to keep the home cool and comfortable. But, running window units and even central air can be expensive and inefficient. Installing ceiling fans throughout the home can often help circulate cool air and increase the energy efficiency of the home throughout the warmer seasons.
Materials and Tools for Installing a Ceiling Fan
Directions for Installing a Ceiling Fan
1. Prepare to Install the Ceiling Fan – Once you have purchased a ceiling fan kit and chosen its location, it is important to cut off power to the existing fixture to avoid injury. You can use the circuit tested to ensure the power is off.
2. Remove the Existing Fixture – After the power is off, remove the existing fixture that will be replaced with the ceiling fan. Once it has been removed and is out of the way, use the circuit tester again to ensure there is no power running to the area.
3. Install the Bracket – Using the hardware found in the ceiling fan kit, remove the existing bracket and replace with the ceiling fan bracket using a screwdriver.
4. Assemble the Ceiling Fan Body – On a study table or on the floor, assemble the body, canopy and support rods following the directions located in the ceiling fan kit. Using a screwdriver, attach the down-rod to the motor which will set in place using a set of screws and secure pins. Once assembled, lift into the open side of the ceiling fan bracket and set into place.
5. Wire the Electrical Connections and Install the Canopy – Using the existing electrical wires, wire the fan motor and create the electrical connections. If you are uncomfortable with this portion of the installation do not hesitate to call a professional technician. Once the electricity has been wired, cover the connections using the assembled canopy.
6. Install the Fan Blades and Lights – Attach the ceiling fan blades to their respective blade carriers or brackets. This is simply done using a set of screws. Once attached, mount each blade to the motor one at a time. Finally, assemble and install the lighting fixture based on the ceiling fan kit instructions.
7. Test and Enjoy – Once all the pieces have been wired into place and assembled, restore power to the fixture and test the ceiling fan to make sure it operates properly. When verified, sit back and enjoy the fan’s cool breezes!
Are you ready to install new ceiling fans for your home? If you live in Arkansas, you may need a Mountain View hardware store to find all of your supplies. Stop in at Hipp Modern Builder’s Supply and ask for Gentry! Or, you can always visit our online store and click here.