If you want to get the job done right, you know that you need the proper tools and having a toolbox with the right tools is the first step. There are a variety of hand tools available at your local hardware store, but it helps to know what to look for before you go shopping. Here is a list of “must haves”:
• Hand Saws
There are two main types of claw hammers which include: Curved for general carpentry work and household projects and Ripping which is mainly used by professionals for heavier carpentry;
Among the more popular specialty hammers you will find:
• Drilling hammer for drilling hardened nails into concrete;
• Sledge Hammers;
There are two main wrench classifications which include general use and plumbing use. Wrenches are used to turn and hold threaded parts.
There a wide variety of wrenches which include:
• Box End which completely encloses the head – giving you more leverage with every turn;
• Combination which are both boxed ended and open ended and these type of wrenches are currently some of the most popular on the market;
• Adjustable which features an open end that can be adjusted to fit the size of any nuts;
• Pipe which are used to screw pipes into elbows;
• Socket which are used to loosen or tighten nuts and bolts quickly;
Pliers are mainly designed to hold, turn and cut objects and are offered with solid joints or slip joints. The solid joint type feature a fixed joint, while the slip joint let’s the user adjust the tool to suit the needs.
• Cutting pliers are also a very popular and are used to cut through tough materials such as wire.
• Vice grips are locking pliers that are considered one of the most versatile tools available.
There are a wide variety of screwdrivers available on the market today and these include:
• Regular is the most commonly found screwdriver on the market and is great for heavy screws;
• Robertson carries has a square head tip and is used when maximum torque is needed;
• Phillips Head is probably one of the best know and most used screwdrivers on the market;
• Torx is a very popular tool in the automotive industry;
There are currently three main types of hand saws which include:
• Pistol Grip is a smaller more typical saw with a thin blade;
• Close Handle is a large type saw;
• Straight Blade is a saw that is used for specialized work such as dry walling;
If you are unsure what you should be buying for your tool box, consult with your local hardware store, they will be happy to assist you.