Step by Step Guide to Building a Pergola over Your Deck
Pergolas are a unique, simple structure that adds shade to a patio or deck area. These structures enhance the outdoor landscape without completely blocking out the sun. Pergolas can also be adorned with decorative lighting or vining plants to add an additional stylistic element. These structures are easy to create and are a cost effective shade solution for any backyard deck or patio area.
Tool and Materials for Building a Pergola:
Directions for Building a Pergola:
1. Install Deck Posts: Using the 4 x 4 posts, install four support posts at the four corners of the area you wish to cover with the pergola. These posts provide support for the latticed structure that will be constructed above the deck or patio.
2. Install Cross Beams to Deck Posts: Once the support posts are securely in place, install four cross beams to connect each post. It is important to make sure these cross beams are level as they will act as the frame for the rest of the pergola.
3. Install Ledger Board and Joist Hangers: A ledger board should be installed on the side of the home that will be part of the pergola. This should be placed six (6) inches higher than the cross beans so shade members will rest on the beam and sit correctly in the joist hangers that are installed into the ledger board. Next, attached joist hangers using a joist jig every six (6) inches on the center of the ledger board.
4. Install Shade Members: Measure and cut shade members to the appropriate size based on the cross beams and desired overhang. Then, hang the shade members on the joist hanger and lay them across the cross beam. To secure the shade members into the cross beam, use the toenail securing technique. When all of the shade members have been installed, cut additional cross beams that will rest across the shade members on top.
5. Interlock the Shade Members: To interlock the shade members, cut 2 x 3 inch notches into the cross beams to create a lattice effect.
6. Stain and Seal: Finally, stain the wood of the pergola in the color of your choice and seal to protect from harsh weather conditions such as rain, snow, extreme heat or extreme cold.
Looking for a hardware store in Mountain View for supplies to do your DIY projects? Then you have come to the right place! Hipp Modern Builder’s Supply is located right here in Mountain View, AR! For more information or to visit our online store, click here.