Step-By-Step Guide to Creating the Illusionist’s Heart
A wooden “cartouche” is simply a piece of wood that can be transformed into a beautiful heart. These small tokens are easy to create with a small amount of skill and a little bit of patience. Here is your step-by-step guide to creating the “Illusionist’s Heart!”
Tools and Materials for DIY Illusionist’s Heart:
- Beam of square-shaped, hard wood
- Circular saw
- Safety glasses
- Safety gloves
- Ear plugs
- Drill bit (3mm)
- Wood glue
- Metal peg
Directions for DIY Illusionist’s Heart:
- Sand one side of the wood beam to create a smooth surface.
- Using a circular saw, cut the beam to create two cubes of wood.
- On the smooth side of the cubes, mark the midpoints of each.
- Drill a one-inch-deep hole into each cube of wood at the midpoint.
- Leaving the drill bit in the hold of one of the cubes, add wood glue around the edges of smooth side of both cubes.
- Using the drill bit as the axis, put the two glued cubes together and press together with a clamp.
- Once set, remove the clamp from the wood.
- With the cubes set on one side, mark the midpoints of each cube on one side.
- Draw a line that connects and links the midpoints.
- Draw two additional lines parallel to the first line, equal distance apart from that original line.
- Cut the cubes along those two parallel lines, which should have been placed above and below the center line.
- On the remaining center board, sand the two cut sides to smooth out the rough edges (make sure board has equal thickness everywhere).
- Lay the board on its widest side.
- Mark the midline of the wood (perpendicular to the glued line where the two wood halves meet).
- Mark two additional points that are an equal distance from the “suture-zone” (the midpoint on the midline).
- Using a piece of material about one-inch-thick placed diagonally between the two points, lay this across the board diagonally and use this to mark the “outer-zones.”
- Using a coin or another round object, use the rounded edges to create two arches equal distance from the midpoint and between the diagonal section (to form the oval base that twists into the heart).
- Remove the excess wood with the saw, removing the wood outside the diagonal lines first.
- Remove the rounded edges of wood from the remaining piece and cut along one of the diagonal lines to create two halves of a heart (and remove the drill bit before sawing the heart in half!)
- Place the metal peg in the holes remaining in each half of the heart – this will connect the halves but allow them to move.
- Sand down the remaining rough edges of the wood to create a smooth appearance.
- Stain and seal the wood and enjoy!
If you’d like to see what the Illusionist Heart should look like, check the short video below! It is for the more complicated Illusionist’s Heart Locket, but hopefully it gives the right idea.
If you think you’d like to try crafting the Illusionist’s Heart, feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store to find the tools and items you need for home projects and household essentials. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: rashell / 123RF Stock Photo