A Quick Guide to Vertical Plant Hangers
Vertical plant hangers not only add to the aesthetic appeal of a porch or room, but they are also great space savers for your potted plants if you live in a smaller apartment or house. Since these hangers are often expensive, a good alternative is building your own with this quick, step-by-step guide to add some more natural elements to your home!
Supplies for DIY Vertical Plant Hanger
- Scrap wood
- Terra cotta pots
- Metal ring
- Drill and 3/8” bit
- Paint or stain
Directions for DIY Vertical Plant Hanger
- Place a pot upside down on the wood. Measure and mark a square around the pot, leaving a 1” border on the sides.
- Create a hole for the pots to sit in by tracing the top of the pot in the center of the wood. Draw another circle that is 1/4″ smaller inside the first circle.
- Cut the smaller circle out using a drill with a 3/8” drill bit. Use the jigsaw to cut around the circle until the piece has popped out. The pots should now be able to fit inside the wood squares.
- Drill a hole in each corner of the wood with the 3/8” bit. The ropes will thread through here.
- Sand the wood squares down. Paint or stain as desired.
- The size of the hanger depends on how large and how many pots you have chosen. Adjust the dimensions as needed.
- Cut four, 6-foot pieces of rope and thread them through the holes of one wooden square. Tie knots in each underneath the wood. This is for the bottom piece.
- Tie another knot in each rope 10-12” above the last knot. Add wood square and slide it down to rest on the knots. Repeat this until all of the wood pieces are in place.
- Add chosen plants to pots.
- Pull the top of the rope pieces through a metal ring and secure by tying a knot to hang the finished product.
Keep in mind that when the plants are watered, the excess water will drip onto whatever surface is underneath. You may need to attach a piece to the bottom pot to catch water if you plan on hanging the planter inside. A coffee filter cut down to fit the bottom of the pot allows water to drip through without soil falling out.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: noegrr / 123RF Stock Photo