Many wine lovers love to save the corks from their wine bottles whether for showcasing the various kinds they’ve tried or just as tokens. With these wine corks, however, there is a chance for those wine lovers (or anyone for that matter) to make some customized DIY jewelry for almost no money.
Wine cork pendants offer an easy way to not only save space on your dresser or desk, but they also offer an upcycling crafts project that is fun to try and an easy gift maker for friends and family. So, let’s try it out!
Material and Supplies
- Wine corks
- Small knife or saw
- Ink or paint for decoration (optional)
- Eye screws, 5mm
- Necklace chains
Directions for Making Wine Cork Pendants
- With a small saw or knife, slice the wine corks into small cuts at your chosen width, but try to avoid making them too thin, as they’ll break more easily.
- Note: You can use a bench vise if you’re worried about making precise cuts, but it is not required if you feel confident. At the very least, you should be careful about keeping fingers away from the knife or saw blade – don’t cut toward any part of yourself and use a protected surface like a cutting board.
- Once the cork slices are ready, sand them so that their surfaces are flat.
- Ink or paint those flat surfaces if you so desire. You should ideally have multiple corks, so you can play around with color and without for different pendants. Let the cork slices fully dry before you continue.
- With your stamps, which can have any images you want, stamp the images on the front of the cork slices. The image doesn’t necessarily need to be small enough to fit onto the cork. Stamping on partial images, like the inside of a bicycle wheel or the very end of a doily stamp, can look just as good on wine cork pendants.
- Note: Since the cork slices are so small, press them to the stamp rather than pressing the stamps to the slices. You can also include a pattern before the stamp by painting on a texture plate—with a honeycomb design, for example—and then pressing the cork slice onto the plate. Let the slices dry before stamping the image over the pattern.
- Screw in a single 5mm eye screw into the topmost part of each slice, so they may hang from a necklace. You may need to add a small jump ring to fit over the clasp, depending on the size of your necklace chain.
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Photo via Steve Cukrov / Shutterstock