Are you worried about someone breaking into your home when you are away or worse, when you and the kids are home sleeping. Even if you have a high-end security system, the system itself is only as good as weakest link. That weakest link is often a family member that forgets to engage the system or that leaves a door or window unlocked.
In addition to the security system itself, there are some measure that can be taken that will make the home more secure:
1. Always Make Your Home Appears Occupied – thieves are less likely to break into a home they think is occupied. Invest in timers that will turn the inside lights on before it gets dark when you are working late or are away. While on vacation, have a neighbor park their car in your driveway and gather your mail on daily basis. Use the TV programmers to turn TVs on and off at different times of the day.
2. Discourage Easy Access – if a thief can get in and out of your home easily, it becomes an ideal target. By putting a high fence or bushes around the perimeter, you can discourage them from entering the home. However, remember, this is not an excuse to leave windows and doors open because you have a bit more security around the home.
3. Protect Your Entrances – in addition to timed lighting inside the home, all outside entrances should be well lit. You can also install motion detectors around the perimeter of the home to protect windows and cellar doors. If there is an access point, it should be lit so neighbors and police can see suspicious activity.
4. Extra Security Measures – even with a home security system, extra measures are always a good idea. Installing deadbolts and peepholes on the doors is a great start. This easy DIY project can be done in a single day. You will also want to check all of your windows and install locking pins to add extra security to them.
5. Video and Track All Belongings – if by chance your home is burglarized, you will need to have a detailed record of your belongings. Take a video or shoot pictures and transfer them to a DVD. In addition, write everything down in the video or pictures, including serial numbers. If anything is stolen, you will improve your chances of recovery and have an accurate record for your insurance company.