How to Build Walks or Patios
Making the decision to create a patio or walkway in your yard can seem rather daunting, but with the right tools and assistance, it can be done in simple, easy-to-follow steps to give you the beautiful yard you desire in only a single weekend. Here is a step-by-step guide to building walks or patios with concrete molds in your yard on your own.
Tools and Materials Walks/Patios with Concrete Molds
Directions for Building Walks/Patios with Concrete Molds
- Put the mold on as flat a surface as possible. For better results, remove a 1-inch width (or 2.5 centimeters) of top soil to maintain a flatter surface. The top soil can be kept to fill any gaps once your project is completed. Level the mold before filling with concrete.
- Start by mixing the concrete—this can be done by hand or by machine.
- Using a machine is a good way to conserve your energy so the project can be completed without a burnout.
- When mixing by hand, mix 2.8 liters of water for every 80-pound bag of concrete mix, adding a little at a time until the correct consistency is achieved. If you need more water to get a firm, workable mix, add small quantities at a time until you achieve your desired consistency. Try not to exceed 4.2 liters of water per 80-pound bag.
- Don’t worry if you don’t prefer plain charcoal gray—cement comes in different colors including red, brown, and terra cotta.
- Take your shovel or trowel and fill up the concrete mold with your mix, making sure to fill it in completely and level the concrete’s surface. Pat and smooth the cavity to maintain a smooth surface, and then remove the mold.
- Once the mold is removed, smooth away any roughness and edges until the desired appearance is achieved. Place the mold next to the completed section. To get a more random look and pattern, rotate the molds so they can interlock with each other. Continue this process until complete.
- If desired, use the discarded top soil to make a more level walkway or patio between the cracks and on the edges.
- Concrete sealer is recommended to protect your project from weathering and stains.
This project is a simple way to make your yard look great and provide a place for you to put out some nice outdoor furniture and invite friends over to admire your accomplishment.
If you think you’re ready to get started building a walk or patio with concrete molds, please click here, and feel free to check out the rest of the Hipp’s Help store. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: jaimepharr / 123RF Stock Photo