For those who love having fresh candles filling up their homes with lovely scents—and those who happen to have citrus fruits around they don’t plan on using—there is a DIY arts and crafts project for you just waiting to be unearthed. That would be this one for citrus votive candles, which can use oranges, limes, or lemons. Plenty of do-it-yourself projects will impress your friends and family when they come by, but fewer will surprise them more than this simple yet effective candle making technique.
This is especially helpful for people who find themselves with several candles that are nearly out of wax but are not easily used because of it. Rather than simply throwing them out, you can reuse their wax to make something else entirely, which is “upcycling” at its best. So, if you find yourself with more than one nearly-used up candle as well as citrus fruit heading toward the wrong end of ripe, check out our guide below for simple citrus votive candles. Let’s get started!
Materials and Supplies
- 1 lime, lemon, or orange
- White paraffin votive candles (or soy melt or beeswax)
- Metal spoon, knife, scissors
- Microwaveable bowl
Directions for Citrus Votive Candles
- To start, begin cutting your chosen citrus fruit crosswise with one smooth slice.
- Now, trim a thin sliver off of the base end of each fruit half—that way your candles will stand flat on a surface when the project is completed. Try to make the bottoms as even as possible to avoid any wax spilling over the edge of your completed candles.
- Pinpointing your cut fruit’s center, scoop out the pulp at the center, which should produce a sort of “citrus bowl” in both halves.
- Turning to the old candles, remove the wicks and set each one into the center of each citrus bowl.
- Set the remains of the wax candles into a bowl that is safe for microwaves and then carefully heat the wax until it has fully melted.
- While the wax is still hot, pour it into the two citrus bowls, one at a time, making sure the wicks are positioned vertically at the center. Hold each wick in place with your fingers for roughly 30 seconds until the wax has hardened. Let your citrus candles cool fully before you use them. Enjoy!
Feel free to check out the Hipp’s Help store for any home improvement needs or supplies for projects. We offer FREE ship to store for all of Mountain View customers. And we also offer reasonable shipping rates for the rest of our customers throughout the country.
Copyright: natashamam / 123RF Stock Photo